Gilmore Girls is without question my favourite TV show of all time (I mean maybe Game of Thrones or West Wing or Newsroom or One Tree Hill or Luther come close, but over all, if push came to shove, it’s GG). And yes I’m proud (I have strange pride boundaries) to say that I’ve watched all 7 seasons on Netflix within 2 months of it being available in the UK (about time amiright?).
Watching it again – 16 years after the first season aired back in 2000 – has made me realise that some things really don’t go out of fashion. Except the bandansa Sooki and Laurelai used to wear all the time – those are done. And I got to thinking about how many of the fashion statements we saw Rory and Laurelai wear over those 7 wonderful seasons are still around today – or have come back after a few years off.
So I’ve picked out some of my favourite trends that were in then and are back now, so take a little look at how to emulate Laurelai and Rory with a 2016 twist…
The Spaghetti Strap Slip
This is a Laurelai classic look – she’s a big fan of the triangle top, spaghetti strap slip dress or top for an evening look. Whether it’s metalic, silk/satin or floral, this shape was seen frequently through all 7 seasons and now it’s a look that’s EVERYWHERE! Further great news, baby blues are so in this season, so if you’ve got blue eyes like Laurelai (or me) these will really make them pop!
Stylish now: (L-R) Ciara, Jamie King, Ashley Benson, Anne Hathaway
- Cami Front Midi Slip Dress – £38 – ASOS
- Satin Midi Slip Dress – £24.99 – New Look
- Busy Garden Wrap Dress – £39 – Topshop
- Crepe Wrap Midi Slip Dress – £28 – ASOS
The Choker/Keyhole Dress
Another trend that’s all over the high street at the moment – chokers. As Taylor Swift said “I feel like maybe chokers are the new flower crowns?” – they are everywhere this summer and now, dresses with built in chokers! That black dress Laurelai wore to the BBQ at her parents house (far right above) was a WOW moment, and now you can get an almost exact replica!
Stylish now: (L-R) Taylor Swift, Khloe Kardashian, Jessica Wright, Selena Gomez
- True Decadence Petite High Neck Keyhole Pencil Dress –
£30£12 – ASOS
- Rosia Choker Neck Bodycon Dress –
£25£18 – PrettyLittleThing
- Malaya Crepe Choker Midi Dress – £25 – PrettyLittleThing
- Sophia Choker Neck Plunge Shift Dress – £12 – Boohoo
The Bardot Gown
Who could ever forget Rory’s prom dress which Laurelai made her? And when Emily said ‘Oh good you bought her a dress’ – the highest of Emily praise… *sigh*.
ANYWAY that gorgeous gorgeous man *cough* navy silk bardot gown was the envy of all at the prom (so was Dean) and the shape is back in a big way at the moment. Bardots are everywhere, but I’ve looked out the most sleek and stylish fits for that clean, modern look!
Stylish now: (L-R) Sienna Miller, Blake Lively, Lady Gaga, Reese Witherspoon
- Lavish Alice Deep Bandeau Asymmetric Hem Midi Dress – £58 – ASOS
- Michelle Keegan Loves Lipsy Rib Bardot Midi Dress – £35 – Lipsy
- Bardot Bodycon Mini Dress – £30 – Missguided
- Bardot Bodycon Dress – £55 – River Island
The Shortsleeved/Sleeveless Turtleneck
Another trend that’s back and everywhere! This was another staple through the seasons and often worn cropped or with high waisted jeans/skirts – so 2016! Team this look with wide-leg trousers for a chic, office look and denim shorts or skirt for the summer!
Stylish now: (L-R) Lily Aldridge, Alessandra Ambrosio, Olivia Munn, Karlie Kloss
- Honey Punch High Neck Ribbed Body – £32 – ASOS
- The Turtle Neck Body In Rib – £14 -ASOS
- Monki High Neck Top – £8 – ASOS
- Glamorous Rib Turtle Neck Top – £7 – ASOS
The Raglan Tee
This is a sportswear staple, but as part of the current sportsluxe trend, the raglan tee is a classic casual style. It’s all about the contrast sleeves and bold colours. Team a raglan tee with jeans and trainers for the perfect casual weekend look. Or wear with distressed denim shorts in the summer for a simple, classic sports look.
Stylish now: (L-R) Elle Fanning, Jennifer Lawrence, Niall Horan, Alessandra Ambrosio
- Contrast Raglan T Shirt – £8 – Missguided
- One Day Tall Contrast Raglan Tee – £14 – ASOS
- Baseball shirt – £7.99 – H&M
- Celina Contrast Raglan T Shirt – £10 – Boohoo
So there you have it, you can now channel Lorelai and Rory all week long, whatever the occasion!